Charles Senteio

Monday, March 06, 2006

Why did I watch the Oscars?

I must admit it, I watched an awards show last nite. No, I wasn't interested much in who came with whom or what dresses were being worn. I saw more Lorel commercials in a 2 hour period than I'd seen my whole life, but yes I was interested.

What struck me was why?

Last nite and this AM I realized it was because Hollywood has suddenly become a bit interesting to me. No I don't care about who's buying what and who's screwing' who (figuratively and literally) but I do care about social issues, justice, and interesting people. For some strange reason it seems as if this stuff also interests Hollywood these days.

My interest has been evolving over the past couple of years. My last 3 theater visits have been, Ray, Motorcycle Diaries, and Million Dollar Baby. All in very different ways had something to say either about interesting people or interesting 'human' feelings and events. I did check out the Oscars a bit last year mainly because I wanted to see if Jaime Foxx would win and if he did what he would say. (I of course remember he won but I don't recall a word he said at the podium). Each of the movies I'd seen and dug actually won Oscars in major categories. At the time I didn't realize that I was also seeing the beginning, at least for me, of Hollywood actually putting out products that would make me think they gave a shit about something other than just traditional 'entertaining'.

Do I think we'll be seeing more Brokeback and less Kong?? I don't know but I do know that something weird is going on if I'm watching a damn awards show.

I dunno if this is a trend but despite the pessimist in me I think it may be, I do know I dug the last two years of offerings. This wonderfully creative industry actually produced stuff I find provacative, I bought Hustle and Flow, and they actually won awards!! I haven't heard much about ticket sales this year but I suspect that even though Crash would never be a blockbuster it could produce very attractive margins becase it cost so little to make. I submit that producing thought provoking content and awarding those that actualy care, or at least act like they do, may be a big boost to their image which could translate to dollars. I guess time will tell.

I wonder if I'll tune in next March??

1 Comments:

  • Hey Spider!
    Thanks for visiting and thanks for the note. I'll be sure to drop by your blogs to see what you're up to. Take care!

    How's business?

    c.s.

    By Blogger Charles Senteio, at 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home