Charles Senteio

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Is Free Speech Free?

I'm sure like the rest of you I was shocked when I heard what went down at the Laugh Factory Friday nite. The lovable and affable Kramer, played by Michael Richards for so many years (I'll call him Kramer for this because it is all I know him for), went 'off' on a couple of bruthas who were heckling him during his stand-up. Here is the article from CNN today, which also has a link to the video which really brings it to life. Going 'off' puts it mildly, he lost his mind, or should I say "lost his filter". I don't think that when we're drunk (Mel), mad (Kramer), or extremely stressed we make up shit because of our emotions. I believe at the time we mean it. I just think our emotions make our 'filters' malfunction. We simply speak on what is already inside of us, which for some is very troubling. I kinda laughed when I first heard/saw this. It's funny that some of us find these sentiments so shocking. Call me a pessimist but I think bigots, who by and large focus their insecurities on race, gender, religion, SES and other stuff, are very much among us. In some cases they are us. It makes us uncomfortable when this part of us surfaces. Of course what Kramer said was inappropriate, insensitive and stupid. It also wasn't good business. You see Seinfeld's season 7 is being released soon on DVD and this ain't gonna help sales. Jerry was on Letterman Monday nite to try and do damage control. He has a brand to protect and I'm not mad at him. He had the affable Kramer on to try and explain. What followed was a disconnected 'explanation' that touched upon everything from losing one's temper to Katrina. He was very Kramer-like.

To me the more interesting point in all of this is the notion of free speech. Does Kramer have a right to say what he did? Of course. In fact I would defend his right to do so. Of course he'll also have to face the consequences. Kramer is no Mel Gibson. His road back, assuming there is one, will come with a much steeper grade.

In a perfect world would freedom of speech have its 'limitations'? I look at this issue this way. If I am willing to open my mouth I must be just as willing to deal with the consequences. Period. If those of us (them) who chose to speak up process this simple equation just before setting mouth into motion, we'd all be better off. Sure you are 'free' to yell fire in a crowded theater however you also have to be just as willing to be found guilty of a crime and the consequences that ensue. You have the 'freedom' to enter a church during a Christmas eve service a yell at the crowd that they're crazy for celebrating Jesus' birthday in December, my own sentiments tell me he must've been born closer to Spring. Luke 2:8 tells us that the shephers spent the nite outdoors with their flocks when Jesus was born without mentioning the cold. Anyway, you also have the 'freedom' to proclaim the legitimacy of worshipping Buddha and how this Jesus thing really doesn't produce individuals who act closer to 'God'. Again, you'd have to be willing to accept the consequences of practicing this type of freedom. As the great Curtis Mayfield sang, freedom ain't never been free. As long as we're willing to pay for it, then we can eliminate the limitations on speech. Most of us are not willing to pay this, in some cases, very high price for speaking up for what we believe in. Because of this, there indeed are limitations....

I dig Kramer, he was a likeable character. I don't think I'll be able to view him again in the same light though. I do wonder what his reaction must've been when he read the script where he'd have to dress up in a stereotypical pimp suit, the video is still funny, prance around for a good part of a very funny and memorable episode. This one will be memorable to me for very different reasons now.

5 Comments:

  • "Freedom of speech has its limitations". I do not think this is a true statement, no limitation, but be prepared to stand by what you say. If you do not believe what you say how do such things get said?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:52 PM  

  • I had not watched the Richards comments in video. It is difficult to believe that these statements do not reflect his personal views.

    I would actually have greater respect for him if he simply stated.....hey I have some racist views. Too often, the conversation about valuing diversity turns into this pie in the sky dialogue rather than focusing on the need for reconciliation. We all have biases and so being able to talk about them opens the door for more effective conversation. Sadly, Richards's attack was so toxic, it really does not offer much as a role model moment for talking about what we think and why.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:37 PM  

  • Kramer is raw!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:08 PM  

  • What are bruthas?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 PM  

  • 'Bruthas' is just another term for dudes/fellas.

    By Blogger Charles Senteio, at 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home