Charles Senteio

Friday, April 28, 2006

An Interesting Discussion

On Thursday nite my buddy James Reed asked me to speak at Smokey John’s. James Reed is a wonderful spirit, he’s an ex-offender and in recovery. I’m also proud to say he’s my friend. James has inspired many folks, not just me, with his heart and authenticity. He has created a ‘community’ of ex-offenders and others who gather at Smokey John’s, a local BBQ joint, every Thursday nite to fellowship, eat, and hear the word. There were about 70 people there Thursday nite and here is an outline of what I said. I was attempting to inspire and as always when I run in these circles I suspect I got much more than I gave.


Pray with Your Feet
I want to talk about fear…. “What do you Fear?”

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves. Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make anifest the flory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us: it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine.
We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.

As we are liberated from our own fear.
Our presence automatically liberates others.

-- Nelson Mandela

========== I AM A CREATION OF GOD ==========
I grew up on a wonderful home. We had love, discipline, books, spirituality (no necessarily Religion). In the den there was a cartoon.

I know I’m Somebody, ‘Cause God Don’t Make no Junk


Very early I felt responsible for the gifts.

  • NOT perfection – scripture doesn’t say that
  • NOT meek and weak… My strength is in my weakness.
    II Corinthians 12:9 – 10
    And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christy may dwell in me

NOT alone w/out help. “I can do it all!!” - I’m getting help here right now!

===== WHY DO I GO TO PRISON ======
I have found people there I admire, respect and trust, they persevere
- Perseverance – Romans 5:3 – 6
- And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance, and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

==== ARE WE SLAVES TODAY=======

“The Slave’s mind is often full of religion and empty of history” – Ras Jahazeil


= THERE ARE GREAT MEN WHO SPEND SIGNIFICANT TIME IN PRISON =

Viktor Frankl
Nelson Mandela
Mahatma Gandhi
Malcolm X

==== WHAT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY ======

Pray with your feet – Frederick Douglass
Be well rounded, get your education, get the help you need – we all need it.
If you lined up 10 people and told me a certain number of them are in the system, have a TDC number (or 2) and I had to pick them out. I wouldn’t even have to look at them. I’d ask them, “Who among you have a HS Diploma or GED?”
It is the single biggest indicator of whether someone will end up in the system.
Seek Truth, exude truth – I John 3:18
Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth
Seek and develop your integrity; Psalm 41:10 – 12

Integrity -
1 : firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : INCORRUPTIBILITY
2 : an unimpaired condition : SOUNDNESS
3 : the quality or state of being complete or undivided : COMPLETENESSsynonym see HONESTY

But You, O Lord, be gracious to me and raise me up,
That I may repay them.
By this I know that You are pleased with me,
Because my enemy does not shout in triumph over me.
As for me, You uphold me in my integrity,
And You set me in Your presence forever.

As Bruva Stanley said last week, Step Into your Destiny!!
Not wait for, not pray for, not hope for…. But Step!!! …. A destiny promised us by our Creator???
Examine your own hope!
Find your confidence, step into your destiny, BELIEVE GOD is in you, has plans for you: II Corinthians 4:7-9
But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.

Faith – “acting like it is so, even when it ain’t so, until you MAKE it so”

JFK - With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own. – JFK Inaugural Speech, 1961

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home