Charles Senteio

Saturday, January 20, 2007

A bit on Missionaries - Guatemala Day 2

We set out early Friday AM to visit a school but prior had an informal meeting at the hotel with a missionary who helps run the mission visits out of his Baptist organization. Many of these groups stay at the hotel we stayed, Casa Del Rey in Chichicastenango.

(This is one of the many shots of this beautiful country, more can be viewed on my online photo album.)

Long before the trip Jim told (warned?) me we would be traveling with some Baptists who were prospecting on mission opportunities. We’d rapped a bit about missionaries during our trip to Sri Lanka last summer so he wanted to ‘prepare’ me for this unfamiliar territory. I didn’t know Shane and Dan before this trip but I did like them. After all they were Jim’s friends and I dig Jim. Shane is the pastor and Dan is a Deacon of their church in Waxahachie. Isn’t Deacon a cool term? Anyway these guys were coming because they had never really traveled like this. They hadn’t traveled outside of the US, Shane got his passport for this trip, in non-resort-type locations like the ones we were visiting. They were prospecting Guatemala for medical and other types of ‘mission’ opportunities for their congregation. I took advantage of natural opportunities during the trip to share my thinking about missionaries, and my ideas on connecting with people with the hope of creating sustainable change. I’m still learning.

I’ve never been around missionaries. They have always been odd to me, at times I’ve distained the whole premise. This trip caused me to think more about them, their motivations, and the work they do. I still don’t like them, I don’t like the hypocrisy. Why do they take these trips. No really why do they go?? Why do people travel to far away lands, primarily lands inhabited by brown and black people, to ‘help’ people they appear to have no connection to? Do they even like these people? Do they like themselves?

Nothing I say now is hypothetical
These are the facts, a little metaphysical
We are one, every heart every lung
So why then was the black man hung?
He was hung by the so-called Christians
that went to church, and did not listen
See Jesus couldn't stand politics
so they nailed him to a crucifix…
If the Christians really heard Christ
the black man never would've lived this life
- Edutainment, Boogie Down Productions


It is very difficult for me to separate race and religion in America. Awhile back Jim gave me a wonderful book by a couple of professors from Rice and The University of North Carolina Divided by Faith, Evangelical Religion and the Problem of Race in America.

The book does an excellent job of examining the history of race and religion in America and examining the hypocrisy of it. How could Christian leaders stand by, and in some cases endorse, the political, social, and economic destructive racial policies in this country for so long?

Currently I am reading The Accomodation, The Politics of Race in an American City by Jim Schutze, who writes for the Dallas Observer.

The book does an excellent job of painting a historical account of the development of Dallas and the context of race. I’ll blog it when I’m done in a bit. Anyway, as I was processing my baggage and what I was seeing and hearing I recalled reading about the Baptists and their points of view on race as Dallas developed. W.A. Criswell was a major figure in Dallas for many years. For many years he was Pastor of the First Baptist Church downtown and gave the invocation at the Republican National Convention in Dallas in 1984. In 1956 Criswell delivered two speeches in South Carolina at the annual Baptist Conference on Evangelism.


Schutze writes:
In the speech he told the audience that racial segregation wasn’t enough. He wanted religious segregation too…. He urged people of different religious persuasions to “stick to their own kind.”… He suggested strongly that black people did not posses the same kind of soul before God that white people owned…He suggested that the best thing white people could do for black people was force isolation on them: “It is a kindness and goodness to them that they go to a colored church, while we seek to develop our own people in our own church.”… “Any man who says he is altogether integrated is soft in the head. Let them integrate. Let them sit up there in their dirty shirts and make all their fine speeches. But they’re all a bunch of infidels, dying from the neck up.”

I know it was a long time ago and all I guess people can change. In fairness, response to the speeches from Baptist leadership was mainly negative. But this dude felt comfortable enough to say this stuff.
Do the Baptists feel guilty? Is so, why don’t they say so? Perhaps they are, I don’t hang much with them, I don’t care to.

For clarity I am segmenting missionaries that go with the express purpose, sometimes under cover of producing clean water and such, of ‘converting’ the ‘natives’ to their god and way of worship (intentional lowercase ‘g’). First of all, anybody who has not made the effort to connect with me on a human level cannot influence me about innocuous topics, let alone such an important one like changing what I call my God, how I worship, and what him/her/it and I conversate on. Secondly I have to give you access to this part of me, learning my language and taking a plane trip just ain’t enough. Finally my real issue is with the arrogance and ignorance that must exist in a person who thinks he can pull this off. Let me get this straight, I may have rich belief and tradition around how I worship, passed down for generations, and I’m supposed to ditch all that because you show up, live in a tent like I do for 10 months, and dig me a well? Amazing. That ain’t faith. It’s paternalistic. It’s imperialistic. It’s arrogant. It’s Wrong.


U gotta understand this has all been conspired,
to put a strain on our brain so that the strong grow tired.
It even exists when you go to church,
because up on the wall a white Jesus lurks.
They use the subconscious to control your will,
they’ve done it for awhile and developed the skill.
To make you wanna kill even your own brother man…
Black against Black you see it’s part of the plan.
- Conspiracy, Gangstarr



Back to our well meaning missionaries, I use the term Well Meaning White Folk (WMWF), like the ones we met. On Friday AM we met with Matt, a dude that has been in Guatemala for about 2 years. He was a very nice guy, most of these religious folks are.

Religious people scare me, spiritual people inspire me.

If your church wants to go to Guatemala to do some project he’s the guy you contact. I’m guessing they’d prefer Baptist based on his ‘except Catholic’ comment. As he shared with us what he did I found myself asking, “why would this guy move with his wife from the States to this distant place to do God’s work?” He arranges logistics and the actual projects. As he talked about various projects I didn’t hear the type of love and affinity for the Guatemalans and this wonderful land I assume would be prerequisite to actually move there. He talked about building water towers, basketball courts and of course spreading the Word.
One guy had been to Guatemala 18 times (standing with camera). I wondered when I heard this did he ever stay with a Guatemalan family? Eat with them? Would they even have him?

I wondered, “What about the Guatemalans? Did they want a water tower? Did they want him to help build it?” Matt opened his talk saying he didn’t mind controversy and welcomed our feedback on what he did. I couldn’t resist. I asked, “Did the Guatemalans want a basketball court?”
It seemed odd to me that a country that had on the surface so many other needs would actually want that. I know the NBA is going global and all but jeez….
Matt was very gracious and did tell us that at times he has to accommodate the desires of the particular church group that comes down. So it is really about them?? I equate it to Terry, who runs the food pantry at Central Dallas Ministries, who told me he sometimes accepts donations he knows folks can’t use because turning away donors in the short term proves to be foolish for the long term. That’s cool. But why do these groups come?
Matt told me that poor people tend to accept whatever you offer them in his response to the basketball court question. I don’t agree with this premise, but I held my tongue for the purposes of this informal chat. I don’t believe that the poor are like the drowning man who would accept any flotation device you tossed his way. I shared with our crew later that just because someone is poor doesn’t mean they’ll accept anything you might give them in the name of ‘help’ or even ‘faith’. I discussed what Jim and I are learning in our work. You can’t just ‘change’ people or even influence them without authenticity around why you’re there and a clear understanding of reciprocity. While speaking to a class of Public Health graduate students a few months ago I was asked how does one affect change in poor communities. I thought the question was odd, I said the real work must be done before you leave the house. Look in the mirror and ask your heart and mind why you’re doing it. We must not just understand reciprocity, that ‘those’ people have as much to offer us as we do them, we must believe it. We must feeeel it.
What if some stranger with resources came into your community, with no real connection or desire for one, and told you and your family what foods you should eat?

Also, let’s not confuse beaten down with lack of pride. Jim and I see very poor people with tremendous pride. We’ve been followed out of a very poor woman’s apartment who was insisting on giving us a co-pay. I know more than a few poor people who won’t accept a damn penny from me if I don’t come at them correct. You can’t measure someone’s pride by looking at their crib and what they have materially. Give it too much weight and you’ll turn into an even bigger fool.

If you have come to help me, you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is tied up with mine, then let us work together.
-- Lill Watson, aboriginal activist

I asked Matt about the Guatemalans. How do they feel about this ‘help’? He shared with me a story of a woman he had worked with over a reasonably long period of time. Matt and his crews had helped this woman. She seems to be better off, I guess. There just weren’t enough stories, anecdotes or passion around the land and the people. Yes, I’m probably being a bit harsh here. As Shane and to a lesser degree Jim discussed with me later perhaps this void is just a function of where he is in his journey. Perhaps his wife was the real driver of the move.

We prolly in hell already our dumb asses not knowing,
everybody kissing ass to go to heaven ain’t going.
Blasphemy - Tupac

Perhaps.

Hypocrisy bothers me, always has. I think some of these ‘missionaries’ need more help than the folks they profess to help. What I take away from my many trips is not so much the scenery or the food, but the people. I am blessed to have had a myriad of impromptu conversations with the ‘natives’, even in my very basic Spanish on this and other trips, that help me analyze, think, and reassess where my own heart is. They also help with my head. These ‘missionaries’ that don’t even think to engage, who clearly don’t understand reciprocity and authenticity, never get to experience this. I hope the church in Waxahachie doesn’t fall into this trap. There is too much healing needed…. in Waxahachie and beyond.

The simple fact in itself, that 3 million slaves exist in a land where there are more than 2 million Evangelical Christians, ought to be sufficient to show that Christianity, that Evangelical religion, is not what it ought to be.

Frederick Douglass said that in his speech "Slavery in the Pulpit of the Evangelical Alliance”, delivered in London on September 14, 1846.

It still isn’t.

10 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 PM  

  • I have heard this viewpoint on missionaries before, and I'm sure that I will hear it again. I want to begin by making the broad point that even work that is ordained by God is carried out by humans and is, accordingly, going to be flawed on some level(s). I also need to make the point that I think the most important thing about mission work, as with sharing any belief system in general, is not what you say with your mouth but what you DO (St. Francis). I also admittedly write this from the lens of a foreign missionary, as I myself spent months on the other side of the globe doing mission work.

    I am attempting to ascertain your true gripe with the mission work you describe--I am not sure whether the issue lies in the fact that it's mission work PERIOD or whether it's mission work that is carried out overseas rather than in the U.S. (the gripe there being that great need for assistance exists in our own back yard).

    I'll start by addressing the latter: there is certainly a great need in the U.S. for individuals to pour themselves into ending disease and poverty in our country. However, I believe that no man is greater than another, and that individuals in Guatemala are every bit as valuable as individuals here. (You certainly agree with me on that point, or you would have have gone to Guatemala to do the work that you are doing. Certainly there are many children in the U.S. who are in great need of a safe, stable environment.) I believe that if a man feels called to reach out to those around him, the opposite side of the globe is as valid of a choice as the shelter down the street from him. Guatemala has FAR fewer individuals with the capacity to help in an economic capacity than the U.S., so if Americans stopped going on foreign mission trips (including medical missions, housing missions, clean water missions, missions to end forced prostitution, etc.) much of that work would cease.

    Your point about access and meeting people where they are is very appreciated. I believe that an essential component of any foreign mission program HAS to be an extended period of "scouting," if you will, to learn the customs, the language, the HEART of the community in which you seek to serve. Americans are often faulted for their egocentricism (i.e. we value basketball, so we think that others should value basketball as well, perhaps even more than building dwellings that keep OUT rats, snakes, inhabitable temperatures, etc.) I think that ientifying the centers of invluence in a given society and then taking an extended, thorough survey of the needs of that community is crucial to making sure that you truly are positioning yourself to HELP rather than to simply FEEL helpful.

    I was a part of a long-term mission team in East Asia a number of years ago, and it was a very far cry from handing out tracts and "trading sandwiches for salvation." The teams in place before me had been in that community for over ten years and had become adept at learning the needs of the individuals. To be a part of the team, we had to adapt to the culture. This meant everything from wearing only two (mismatched) outfits for the duration of our time there to foregoing toilet paper to implementing the "farmer blow" rather than using tissues to blow our noses. We did not try to make a "mini-America" in East Asia. We instead learned that to truly make a difference in a person's life, you DO need access. Access takes sacrafice, time, patience and a willingness to truly LISTEN to the needs of those around you and the agility to deviate from your "plan" when appropriate in order to be as effective as possible. Learning to be effective "foreign missionaries" is a very complex issue, and deserves much more time and attention than I can give the issue right now.

    I'll now switch to addressing the propriety of missionaries PERIOD. I hear you say that it's arrogant and egotistical to try to force your "g"od onto others. This entire debate can be short-circuited by one foundational issue. Either you DO or you DON'T believe that in the Bible, God calls us to share the message of salvation. The Biblical message (no man comes to the Father but through the Son). If you do believe that God calls us to take this message to all parts of the world, then you would be ideologically and theologically aligned with mission work (foreign or domestic.) If you do NOT believe that there is only one path to salvation (through Jesus) and that God calls us to share this message, then certainly you are not ideologically or theologically aligned with mission work.

    I know your response even as I type this next section, as I've heard it from you before. I do believe that the Bible is unequivocal as to the path to salvation. I also believe that God calls us to bring this message to the world. That is what I believe, accordingly, my time as a missionary was well-aligned with my teachings and beliefs. Your response is that YOUR "g"od is bigger than that. That there is not only one path to salvation and that it is egocentric, arrogant, cruel and flat-out wrong to attempt to convert another to the viewpoint that Jesus died for our sins and that we must place our faith in Jesus in order to be saved.

    You are certainly free to make your choices, as are ALL men. I do NOT believe that God calls us to try to force conversion. Rather, I believe that he calls us to share the message of salvation as outlined in the Bible.

    I think that you, Charles, have a very deep, well-developed belief system that guides your life. You are a man of character, of strength and of honor. As you mentor, as you lead organizations and discussions, you share your belief system with others. These beliefs are important to you, and I'm sure that you feel that many of your beliefs come from a higher power--your "g"od. You are very direct in sharing your beliefs with others.

    You are a missionary for the god of Charles. I don't know in what ways he overlaps with the God of Jenny. But I do know that it is important for you to share these things with others, because you believe that people's lives would be greatly enhanced if they followed the wisdom that you have gleaned through the years. You are, in sharing, inherently placing your beliefs above those of others that you don't feel share your beliefs. YOU are consciously disregarding the fact that in some communities, honesty and honor aren't valued above merely surviving and placing food on the table for your family, ends justifying all means. This is an extreme example, as not all dichotomies are so stark and so poignant.

    My point here is simply that we all do the very thing that you are attacking. If you believe something strongly, then likely you feel that your belief is worth sharing. It doesn't mean that you expect everyone to conform to your belief. But you believe that your life is better because of your grid, and you want to expose others to the same things that enhance your existence on this earth (and beyond).

    All that to say, don't lump all missionaries into the same pool. Missionaries, just like all other people groups, all come at things a little bit differently. Your points are important and should certainly be used to refine the ways in which mission work is carried out. But should not be used as a platform to shut down such work.

    Thanks for sparking dialogue on this important issue.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:52 PM  

  • Thanks for your thoughtful commentary. Let me clarify, my issue is not with the location of the work but with the spirit in which it is carried out. My fundamental issue is the lack of effectiveness of ‘renewal’ work done due to lack of connection to the community to which it is supposed to benefit. My theories on why this approach has been used for so long are certainly up for debate and discussion, however renewal void of connectivity is absent sustainable results. This is truth. I am certainly not advocating shutting down this work, I am simply attempting to close the gap between what is, and what could be.
    Of course I cannot broad brush missionaries with any real validity and no doubt some of the work done does some good. Part of my point is to stimulate meaningful discussion. I appreciate your point of view, especially given that you have given a significant part of your life to this space. I’ll look forward to continuing the dialog.
    For the record I believe my own path to the Father is thru Jesus, however I’m not prepared to mandate that that has to be yours. Yes I have come to refer to God as ‘my God’, this is a very personal relationship and it warrants that type of possessive…. It is a relationship of reciprocity ;-)

    By Blogger Charles Senteio, at 9:09 PM  

  • There is no way I can digest this enough to give a worthwhile comment...but I feel led to say thatnks...and this was a beautiful well written reflection. The drumbeat of the voice of reason by the "others" from Frederic Douglas to Mahatma Ghandi to Che Guevarra her in Guatemala, still is not heard by the anointed in their own minds.

    I like yet wince at what Ghandi said along these lines ( not exact):

    " I love your Christian Jesus. It's his Christian followers I cannot stand"

    Steve again

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 PM  

  • Thanks for the follow-up Steve. Know that I do respect and admire the work you and Shyrel are doing. I don’t consider you missionaries, you’re capable agents producing real results by connecting with people. True faith in action. JFK was right, on Earth God’s work must truly be our own.

    By Blogger Charles Senteio, at 11:33 PM  

  • Love your blog. Couldn't agree more with your query into Baptist-help or other "christian" helpers. I think if there is a second coming it will be Jesus, really pissed off, with a cadre of nuns and rabbis behind him with rulers in their hands ready to smack people --- starting with most Baptists and Church of Christ members.

    My favorite saying on the issue of poverty/pride/independence: Mahalia Jackson said: "It's easy to be independent when you've got money. But being independent when you're poor, when you don't have a thing, now that's the Lord's test."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

  • Thanks for your thoughts anonymous! I got a kick out of your prediction of what Jesus would do if he did come to us today and observe some of what we were into. I love the Mahalia quote, she certainly reached many with her voice and spirit.

    By Blogger Charles Senteio, at 6:24 PM  

  • I heartily agree that missionaries must connect with the people that they serve. Too often there seems to be a schism between them and the indigent population with which they seek to share the gospel.. Unfortunately, often their attitude merely reflects that of some Christians here: a kind of condescension toward those that may be different. In other words, you don't have to be a missionary to be disconnected from others. These missionaries are just a micro-representation of the macro condition in our society. With that being said, I think that we cannot underestimate the sacrifice and effort that they exhibit when leaving the familiar and going to a foreign nation. They are answering the call to preach the gospel to all nations, and for that I think they should be commended.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 AM  

  • I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your thoughts on “Missionaries,” though provocative, are shared by many. I discovered this while in Seminary and have a book I will share with you. As one who has done missionary service in Brazil, our approach has been to (1) identify the need prior to leaving the US through a head of an orphanage or church, (2) live among the citizens, (3) respond to the need whether it be clothing, transportation, housing, bed linen, et al, (4) share God’s love through example and (5) sustain relationships with ongoing correspondence and return visits.

    Now I am the one that ask, while in Brazil spending time with the poorest citizens, “Why am I here when abject poverty exists in America?” Then I am able to conclude that God has given me the gifts and graces to do both.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:34 PM  

  • We make the assumption that citizens of the Third World are enslaved, uncivilized and non-believers and impose our culture and belief systems. I have always been inspired by the work of Father Vincent J. Donovan, who served the people of Tanzania for seventeen years as a missionary. In his book, Christianity Rediscovered (Orbis Books 1978, p 144), Father Donovan states, “a missionary is essentially a social martyr, cut off from his roots, his stock, his blood, his land, his background, his culture. He is destined to walk forever a stranger in a strange land. He must be stripped as naked as a human being can be, down to the very texture of his being. St. Paul said Christ did not think being God was something to be clung to, but emptied himself taking the form of a slave. He was stripped to the fiber of his being, to the innermost part of his spirit. That is the truest meaning of poverty of spirit. This poverty of spirit is what is called for in a missionary, demanding that he divest himself of his very culture, so that he can be a naked instrument of the gospel to the cultures of the world.” He adds that we are to be “forever reaching out with the gospel to the place where people truly exist, where they are and as they are.”



    I am reminded of a comment a pastoral intern made while praying as we prepared to embark on a 10-day stay in Rio de Janeiro. The intern said, “Lord, be with us as we take you to the people of Brazil.” God is already there! He has been there since the beginning of time. Yet, in our arrogance and ignorance, we feel we have been called, ordained, and anointed to transport him to a foreign land. He is already there! Our role is to meet Him “where people truly exist, where they are and as they are.”
    - Pastor Preston

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home